Friday, October 19, 2007

Mr. Dogwood Goes to Washington



Kentucky Greetings, WoodyWatchers! Hope this finds you in the beginning of a great Friday! We returned home late last night from Calloway County, KY. I can't wait to tell you more about that later. But first, let me share with you some more comments from our faithful readers at Holiday Elementary in Hopkinsville, KY.

Our 5th grade friends in Mrs. Robinson's homeroom were asked to write a sentence or two on one of the following:

1) Tell about something that you learned today in Chapter 4, or

2) Write about some of our freedoms and what your life would be like without them.


Here were their responses:



I learned that the Smithsonian Institution is the world's largest museum and there are 19 buildings of it. Courtney

Without our freedoms, everyone would be unhappy because they could not believe what they wanted to believe. Carolyn

I learned something new in the first paragraph. The Declaration of Independence is 230 years old. James

The thing that I learned today was that Woody was talking about the B.O.R. -- that stands for Bill of Rights. Damon

Today I have learned that at the National Mall there are many museums called the Smithsonian Institution. Jennifer

There is a document which was written 230 years ago called the Declaration of Independence that is in the National Archives building. That's what I learned in Chapter 4. Kyler

Today I learned that Woody's favorite museum was the National Air and the Space Museum. Chloe's was the Museum of American History. Cindy

I learned that all the citizens of America have so many rights. Jaqualis

In Chapter 4, I leaned that freedom of press means that people who write or broadcast news can tell whatever is happening in the world. Ta'Naisa

I learned that there are 10 amendments on the Constitution called the Bill of Rights. One of them is we have freedom of speech. Also freedom of religion, press and assembly. Larrin

I did not know there was a Bill of Rights which is 10 amendments. This is not the same as the 10 commandments in the Bible but it is the 10 amendments to the Constitution. Adrian

My life would be like if we did not have the freedoms is ..... it would feel like we were doing the wrong things and we would be punished just for nothing we've done wrong. Nick J.

I learned about the Smithsonian Institution. It is the largest museum with 19 museum and galleries. Nicholas H.

What I learned today is what the first amendment stands for. It is freedom of speech. I also didn't know that freedom of assembly means that we can join any political party without government involvement. Jessica

I think it is cool to see artifacts from history from more than 200 years ago. I am glad that Mr. Dogwood got to go to Washington. I learned a lot of important things like the Bill of Rights and all the other important documents were in a museum and not in the White House. Vanessa

The Declaration of Independence set us free. And the Bill of Rights is a document that gives us freedom of speech and religion. Jastasha

Today I learned all about the Bill of Rights. There are 4. They are freedom of press, religion, speech, and assembly. Carson

Something that I learned today in this article was that the Declaration of Independence was written more than 230 years ago. Emily


Aren't these great? It is funny that they are learning the exact same things that Chloe and I learned!

Once again, a great big puppy dog kiss to Mrs. Klingensmith and all of the teachers and students at Holiday! We love it when we get your emails each week! Keep em' coming!

I better run! We had a really bad storm last night and Chloe and I are going to help Dad pick up tree limbs from the yard! I will be sure to tell you all about our visit to Southwest very soon! I promise!

In the meantime, Work and Dream like a BIG DOG!

WOODY