Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Hurricane Woody???





Kentucky Greetings, WoodyWatchers! We hope everyone enjoyed Labor Day! Our family spent the day doing as little as possible. We have such a busy schedule for the fall, that we took the time to take as many cat naps as possible. Today, it's back to the drawing board as they say. We have emails to answers, meetings to attend, and plenty of packing to do for our school visits!

We watched lots of TV yesterday - more than usual. We wanted to see what happened with Hurricane Gustav. I didn't really know exactly what a hurricane was. Mom explained that it is a fierce storm that has heavy rains and really strong winds. I asked if we could ever have a hurricane here in KY. Mom said that a hurricane starts in the ocean and moves to land, so since we don't live near the ocean, no, we couldn't have a hurricane! Mom also explained that to keep track of hurricanes, the weather experts give the hurricanes names. "How do they name them?" I asked. Mom said that there names are both girl names and guy names and start in alphabetical order. I wondered how many hurricanes had been named Woody. I looked and looked but came up short! It seems that Woody - or even Dogwood - is not that common of a name! Maybe I will write a letter to the weather people and ask them to name a hurricane after me.

We have a few ties with Louisiana. First of all, our Granny was born and raised in a little town called Kinder, Louisiana. Kinder is just a few hours west of New Orleans. Even though Granny lives in Paducah, KY now, she remembers boarding up her house to protect it from all the strong winds and rains. If that isn't enough, our baby brother Walter is from New Orleans, LA. In fact, his real mommy was named Katrina - from the last big hurricane. (If you don't know about Walter, he is our baby brother. He travels with our family but doesn't have a job.) When I was looking up names of hurricanes, I saw where Walter will have a hurricane named after him in 2010. With Walter in our house and on our Woody Bus, it makes us think there ARE hurricanes in KY! I put a picture of Mom, Granny, and me, and then of Baby Walter for you to see. Anyway, the good news is that Gustav didn't do as much damage as it could have. That's PAWS-atively perfect news!

I better say ARFF for now! Duty calls! Work and Dream like a BIG DOG!

WOODY