Monday, October 27, 2008

An Exciting Ride Home

Kentucky Greetings, WoodyWatchers! Whew! Last week was a fun week for our family with a few twists and turns. Let me fill you in!

On Thursday, we spent the day with Mrs. Cheryl Million and all the students at Mason Corinth Elementary in Grant County. We were no stranger to MCE. Not only had we had been there before, but we have become great friends with Mrs. Million, her family, and the students. The school rolled out the red carpet for our visit!

We presented our assemblies and the writing workshops, posed for pictures, signed scrapbooks, and even signed broken arms!!! The day flew by! After a tasty dinner, we spent the evening with students and parents at the Family Reading Night. The day was going as smooth as silk. About 8:00 that evening, the families had all gone home, the Woody Bus was loaded, and our family was ready to make the two hour trip back to our doghouse in Shepherdsville. Chloe, Frannie the Body Guard, and I had put on our jammies and were resting on the way home when we heard something that just didn't sound right. The hair on Frannie's back stood up. She thought she was going to have to take action. We all looked at each other. Dad said, "Don't worry. I think some equipment in the storage bin just moved around." Ahh, a sigh of relief. Close the eyes again and think about the great day! BANG, POP, SHAKE!!!!! Frannie jumped on top of Chloe and me to shield us from any harm. "TAKE COVER!" Frannie instructed. Dad calmed us by saying that one of our tires had blown. He guided the Woody Bus to the shoulder of the road.

It was scary at first, being stuck on the side of the dark interstate while cars and trucks passed by. Every time a big truck would pass by, the bus would shake. Mom closed the curtains in bus, turned on the television to block out some of the noise, and we sat on the bed and waited for help to come. (Since the Woody Bus is really big, Dad had to have help from a professional.) While we waited - and waited - and waited some more, we talked, told stories, played Go Fish, sang our favorite songs and read our favorite books. Finally, a truck came! The mechanic and Dad worked a really long time taking the bad tire off and replacing it with the new tire. It took a long time and we could tell that Dad and the mechanic were tired - I mean exhausted! Finally, the tire was changed, and we were back in business. Chloe, Frannie, Mom, and I all gave three cheers to Dad and the mechanic - and, of course, to Frannie the Body Guard! Hip, Hip Hooray! Hip, Hip Hooray! Hip, Hip Hooray!

We pulled into our driveway at 2:30 Friday morning!!! Mom and Dad had been awake since our Scooby alarm clock went off at 5:00 on Thursday morning - almost 22 hours!!! Needless to say, Friday was spent taking long naps - and putting new tires on the Woody Bus!!!

Since Friday was spent napping, we are still catching up on laundry and chores. Therefore, I have to go. Chloe is helping Mom fold the clothes and I am sure there are tasks on my To-Do list! Stay tuned to the blog. We have lots of stories and photos to post!

Have a great day! Work and Dream like a BIG DOG!