Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day






Kentucky Greetings, WoodyWatchers! Once again, I have been a little behind in my journal writing. We have been finishing up our school visits for the year and preparing for our summer events. I have so much to tell you from the past few weeks like our great visit to McKinney, our day at Joseph Beth and the Kentucky Artisan Center, and about our visit to Cousin Patrick's class. I promise I will give you the deTAILS soon, but today I wanted to bark about Memorial Day!

Our family has always been patriotic, but ever since we spent a week in Washington, D.C. and wrote Mr. Dogwood Goes to Washington, our American pride has overflowed! Chloe and I have always loved Memorial Day. Before our trip to D.C.,the main reason we loved the day is because our family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins - gets together every year for a good ol' fashioned picnic. We eat hamburgers (yes, ONLY hamburgers), potato salad, baked beans, corn-on-the-cob, and ice cream! Dee-lish! After our D.C. trip, Chloe and I realized that Memorial Day is about more than picnics! It is about remembering the men and women who died while serving our country. Chloe and I thought about the day we spent at Arlington National Cemetery and saw where over 290,000 men and women who have served our country are buried. It made us stop and, as the day was set aside for, remember those brave people.

This morning, Chloe, Frannie the Body Guard, and I helped Dad put out our American flag. It is flying proudly! Frannie even put on her American flag bandana. And, of course it wouldn't be Memorial Day without singing our favorite patriotic songs like Yankee Doodle, You're a Grand Old Flag, and God Bless the U.S.A.

I better skedaddle for now. It is almost time to join the cousins for the annual picnic. I can taste that corn-on-the-cob now! Have a great day! Sing those patriotic songs loud and proud, remember those who have given us freedom, and Work and Dream like a BIG DOG!

WOODY