Sunday, February 20, 2011

Madison Payne's Brilliant Book Report



Kentucky Greetings, WoodyWatchers! Hope this finds you having a great Sunday. Chloe, Frannie, Wally, Mom, Dad, and I went to Sunday School, had a big lunch, and were settling down for a cat nap when my email barked signaling I had mail. I almost waited until after my nap to open it, but decided it could be urgent. What if Coach Cal needed my help on developing plays for Wednesday's game - or what if the governor had a question? Therefore, I decided to open my mail before the snooze. Thank Goodness I did! It was better than the governor or Coach Cal - it was from my friend Madison.

Madison Payne is in the second grade in Knox County, Kentucky. Madison's uncle, Dr. Steven Payne, is my mom's doctor. (Mom doesn't see the vet like Chloe and I do, even though I tell Mom it's scary to see a doctor with the last name Payne - even if it is spelled differently.) Anyway, Madison wrote a book report on Dog Gone Wild and shared it with her class. She even used props when she presented it. Dr. Payne emailed the report so we could read it. Spectacular! Brilliant! TerRUFFic!

With Madison's permission, we wanted to share it with you. We know you will enjoy it as much as we did!

The book I chose to share is, “Dog Gone Wild”, by Leigh Anne Florence. I chose this book because it was a gift to me from the author. She is a friend of my Uncle and knows that I enjoy reading. She & Woody signed it for me.

This book is about two dogs going camping in the Daniel Boone National Forest.
Let me introduce Woody, he is a black and tan miniature wiener dog who lives in the great state where he was born- Kentucky. Woody has a big sister who is a redheaded miniature wiener dog. They have human parents who they call mom and dad. (Show Dogs)

Mom and Dad tell Chloe and Woody everyday that they can achieve all our goals and dreams.
“It doesn’t matter that you are little, just think Big”.

In Chapter 1 & 2 – Chloe and Woody are getting excited for the trip, they begin talking about what they are going to pack, Woody decides he is going to pack an electric blanket to camp in, and then forgets that you need electricity to make it work. He packs all other sorts of things that you don’t take camping either. (Show the Flash Light)

Chapter 3 & 4 – Chloe & Woody are asking are we there yet? So Dad hands them a map and asks them to navigate. Chloe & Woody are trying to figure out how to read the map. (Show the Map & Compass) Mom explained that navigate meant to direct, to guide, or to plot the course of the trip. There second problem was where were they going? They were headed to the Daniel Boone Campground.
When they arrive Woody closes his eyes and imagines he is Daniel Boone blazing a trail or Davey Crockett fighting off a bear. (Show the Coon Skin Cap)

Chapter 5 & 6- Chloe and Woody take an adventure stroll around the camp sight, and run into the snake. Woody tells a fib about the size of the snake. (Show the snake)

Chloe & Woody go fishing but they catch more than fish, they catch a sock, turtle, a few fish and an old boot. (Show fish)

Chapter 7, 8 & 9- Woody discovers he lost his favorite harmonica; he wanders off from the campsite without telling anyone and gets lost. His family searches for him in the rain, and they find him playing his harmonica. (Show harmonica)

Chapter 10- Everyone makes it back to the campground safely and tucks in for the night in their sleeping bags.

Madison Payne
2nd Grade
Book Report


We asked Madison to send us a picture of herself so we can put it on the blog. I wonder if Madison actually used a real snake for a prop? Can't wait to find out. I also can't wait to find out if Madison's teacher immediately promoted her to the 5th grade after she turned in her stellar report! We hope so!

Keep up the good work, Madison - and keep your eyes open for some thank you treats from Chloe and me! I'm going to walk to the Post Office and put them in the mail myself!

Enjoy your Sunday, get some rest, and Work and Dream like a BIG DOG!

WOODY